Thursday, April 17, 2008

SecondLife

Jody has been doing a lot of "research" with SecondLife. I say research in quotes cause right now I think she is doing a lot of learning with it and not really doing much with it. However, online education is really starting to look at SecondLife as a way to get to the next generation of students. In fact I know she attended a session at Sloan-C on it and she is even attending a few online conferences about it.

So since Jody is learning about it, I feel I should know something about it as well. I've had a lot of issues running the Second Life client on my Linux machines, but I think I'm getting close to making it work well. Mainly the problems have been with the video drivers on my machine.

Anyway, SecondLife is interesting, but I'm not really sure what to do with it yet. So far all I have been doing is flying around and looking at what people have built. We have not committed to it, by buying land and all that, but that might be in the future. Maybe the family reunion in 2020 will be in SecondLife. I have a feeling that something important could be done with it, but so far it looks to me like a graphical chat room. So while I'm not sold on it, I don't think I'm ready to give up on it yet either.

No comments: