Friday, April 25, 2008

Slower pace of life

So, I had some errands to run today, nothing out of the ordinary: get a hair cut, mail a package and change my address at the DMV (I've already filled out the form). I'm thinking maybe an hour, 1.5 hrs at tops. So off to get a haircut. I get there at 10am on Friday and there are 4 people ahead of me and the hairdresser is 1/2 way thru a color job on someone. I think to myself, someone will be here soon. Well an hour later I finally get my turn and just as I'm about done, a second hairdresser shows up. Now you are thinking, well you went to some fancy place... nope, just the place in Walmart (one of the few places in town you can get a haircut). So far the haircut seems ok, I'll know for sure tomorrow.

So off to the post office. Now that was easy, in and out of there in 10 mins including drive time. I'm thinking ok, I can get home by noon for lunch.

Then over to the DMV. I know what you are thinking "ha, the DMV that will take forever". Well, you're sorta right. First, this DMV office is only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I've had good luck in the past getting my license here. In fact, last time I renewed it I got it out here cause usually they are quick, I think I was there 15 mins total. Well, today I figured I was in trouble when the sign on the door said "This office will be closed from 12:00 to 1:30". Who gets 1 hour and 30 mins for lunch? I sure don't. I go in and it is about 20 mins til noon and there are 3 people ahead of me. I have to wait in a waiting area and there is no one to talk to. Anyway, 12 o'clock comes around and they start locking the doors to keep anyone else from coming in. The guys behind me are told to come back later since they were doing tests and those take to long. As for me, they ask what I need and I just tell them I need to change my address. Since I have the form already filled out, they take it and say unless I want a new license I can go. Well, I don't want a new license so I leave. Now, I got the form online, why could I have not filled it out online and not had to go in or even when I got there why wasn't there a drop box? However, I think that it is more government efficiency, more than it being a small town.

So a little over two hours later, I'm all done with that. So not to bad, I guess I'll just have to turn it down a notch or 5!

No comments: